Local 164 Home

IBEW LOCAL 164 - A HISTORY

Established in 1891 when public demand for electricity surged, the National Brotherhood of Electrical Workers sought to obtain an improved way of life for electrical linesmen whose death rate was one of every two hired. Without apprenticeship programs and safety standards, pioneering linesmen and electricians risked their lives for a mere 15 to 20 cents an hour. Although its first convention in St. Louis was attended by only 10 delegates representing 286 members, the nationwide brotherhood expanded by 1899 to include telephone operators and territorial jurisdiction in Canada. With 40 locals, the organization became known as the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).

Founded in 1901, Local 164 remains dedicated to the IBEW's original objective and programs to make life better for its members and those around them. Originally established with exclusive jurisdiction in Hudson County, Local 164 was expanded to include Bergen County in 1928 and Essex County in June 2000.


 
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Please Use the Tabs Below to Navigate Through the Last 100 Years of IBEW Local 164 History.
Enjoy the Trip!
©2009 IBEW Local 164     205 Robin Road, Suite 315, Paramus, NJ 07652 | Main Phone (201) 265-1700 | Fax (201) 265-6555